Date:      Wed, 4 Jul 2001 12:27:46 -0400
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf -y 'ing using user ppp

so, Crist J. Clark shared this in my lifetime...

> Err... man 8 ipf,
>
>        -y     (SOLARIS 2  ONLY)  Manually  resync  the  in-kernel
>               interface  list  maintained  by  IP Filter with the
>               current interface status list.
>
> Note the "SOLARIS 2 ONLY?" I've never had to use '-y,' but I do have a
> similar problem. Or do I have a different manpage?

deja vu... i have read the same statements before on this issue in
a freebsd mailing list... crist, by chance could that be from you?
by the way your manpage seems to be old, over here same man command
shows...

  -y     Manually resync the in-kernel interface list  main-
         tained by IP Filter with the current interface sta-
         tus list.

> That said, once I run ppp(8) once, I can bring the tun(4) interface up
> and down as much as I wish and I never need to touch ipf(8) or
> ipnat(8) again. No need for the '-y' option.

well, i have to do syncing once after reboot. after then, i can play
w/ ppp, ifconfig, ipf as much i want w/o resyncing.

just curious, are your ipf rules "default block" type? or, do you
first block all the traffic (going in or out), then selectively let
the traffic pass?

as i stated earlier, when the ipf rules weren't "default block", ppp
was making connection, but not afterwords ... not w/o a "ipf -y".
so, if your rules are not "default block", you may not have to
do the syncing.

--
 so, do you like word games or scrabble?
	 - parv