Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:50:43 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
To:        "Giorgos Keramidas" <charon@labs.gr>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: home pc use

Giorgos writes:

> "Not everyone is interested in a learning
> experience."
>
> So, you are unwilling to learn anything new.

How did you reach that conclusion from my statement?

> You are well set, and refuse to learn how
> anything else works, apart from what you
> already know.

No, I'm just resistant to dogma.  When someone tells me, in effect, "this OS
does everything better than anything else, and if you disagree, you're a troll,"
I get suspicious.

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you suggesting
> that to use Microsoft's Windows OSes you did not
> invest time and money to learn how to use the
> product?

I'm not sure what you are asking, but as a matter of fact I invested nothing in
learning how to use Windows; it was mostly trial and error.  Not until much
later, when I had to administer Windows NT, did I look anything up, but no more
so than I am doing now on FreeBSD.

> You did do a lot of reading.

No, I did not.  For years, I had no books at all on Windows.

> You did browse the Internet, and search the
> Usenet archives.

When I first starting using Windows, it did not provide anything even close to
Internet access.  My Internet access was via Multics.

> You did dig in the Microsoft 'Knowledge Base' or
> whatever it is called this month.

It did not exist online at the time.  I'm not even sure that it existed within
Microsoft back then.

> Why do you seem so annoyed that to use FreeBSD
> you have to learn how it works?

I'm not.  I just wish there were better resources for doing so.