Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 19:17:36 -0400
From:      "Long, Scott" <Scott_Long@adaptec.com>
To:        "'Peter Wemm'" <peter@wemm.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, n0go013 <ttz@blahdeblah.demon.co.uk>, current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: [ GEOM tests ] disklabel warnings and vinum drives lost

> Terry Lambert wrote:

> > [ ... ]

> reworked to do it
> > >
> > > Amen! (and no, I'm not volunteering. I don't mind
> cleaning up code, but the
>     re
> > > are limits to what crud I touch)
> >

> > FWIW:
> >
> > The comment right before that code is:
> >
> >     /*
> >      * Yes, Bruce, I know this is horrible, but we
> >      * don't have a root file system when we first
> >      * try to do this.  If you can come up with a
> >      * better solution, I'd really like it.  I'm
> >      * just putting it in now to add ammuntion to
> >      * moving the system to devfs.
> >      */
> >
> > ...basically, when devfs became default, the person who made it
> > default did not maintain this code, when they converted everything
> > else over to using it.
> >
> > The assumption here is that the devfs will be available to the
> > system before the root is mounted transparently over it.
>
> Actually no, this is only used *after* root is mounted.
>
> > This is
> > also doable with an unmounted instance of the backing devfs, not
> > yet mounted on /dev, if a transparent mount of / over top of a
> > preexiting / -> /dev is not supported (i.e. devfs is mounted on
> > /dev on the root FS, rather than the root FS being mounted on a
> > backing node on which defvfs is already mounted on /, and the
> > devices showing through as if they were on /).
> >
> > I think the major problem with the Vinum code is that it isn't
> > very readable in an 80 column editor window with 8 column tabs,
> > but that's pretty much the worst you can say about it, other than
> > the code has not been maintained by the people changing subsystems
> > out from under it.
> >
> > Another alternative is to disable support for mounting vinum
> > plexes as the root filesystem, which is what this code supposedly
> > supports.
>
> Nope.  Vinum doesn't support booting with a plex as a root
> file system. I
> can't quite say that I understand what this is for though.
> namei() etc
> are perfectly usable at this point.
>
> Cheers,
> -Peter

Gee, RAIDframe supports using an array as the root filesystem, and it
didn't need a goofy list like that.  Autoconfiguration works with
any disk subsystem that registers properly with the disk layer (of
course, this is in the non-GEOM world).  <shrug>  Read the Developer's
Status Report.  Coming soon to a cvs mirror near you.

Scott