Date:      Mon, 06 Jul 1998 19:45:01 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@whistle.com>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gcc/g++ 2.8.1 port maintainers/modifiers

> > > vashon$ cat test.cc
> > > #include <typeinfo>
> > > vashon$ gcc28 -c -H test.cc
> > > /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd3.0/2.8.1/include/typeinfo
> > >  /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd3.0/2.8.1/include/exception
>
> The correct place for this to be installed is in the directory
> include/g++/sys/typeinfo.h, with a wrapper include in
> include/g++/typeinfo that includes sys/typeinfo.h.

No it's not.  There is no "typeinfo.h" in gcc-2.8.1, or in the C++
standard for that matter.  There's only "typeinfo".

> In any case, it shouldn't be in the top level include directory, and
> the g++ includes the one in /usr/include in preference to that one,
> even if it were being put in the right place (ie: in include instead
> of, minimally, in include/g++/typeinfo).

I can't parse that.  Please, don't try to explain it to me until
you've understood the rest of this mail.

> Try adding:
>
> #warning "This is the wrong file, you bozo!"
>
> To the /usr/include/g++/typeinfo file, and you will see what I
> mean.

Did you read the output from "gcc28 -H" that I sent in my last mail?
Here it is again:

    vashon$ cat test.cc
    #include <typeinfo>
    vashon$ gcc28 -c -H test.cc
    /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd3.0/2.8.1/include/typeinfo
     /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i386-unknown-freebsd3.0/2.8.1/include/exception

The "-H" option causes the compiler to report exactly which files it
included.  They are listed above. "/usr/include/g++/typinfo" is not in
the list, even though it exists on my system.  Ergo, the compiler is
not including it.

> The port is broken...

Whatever breakage you've demonstrated to this point is not in the
port, it's in your installation, or your methodology, or your
assumptions.