Date:      Tue, 20 Dec 2011 11:19:35 +0200
From:      Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@gmail.com>
To:        Allen <Unix.Hacker@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Port, Packages, and Patching, Upgrading

you may want to look up this section of the handbook:
Chapter 5 Installing Applications: Packages and Ports

How to upgrade your applications is explained there;

long story short, there are three utilities i know of that may be used to
keep your applications up-to-date irrespective of the installation method;
they are portupgrade, portmanager and portmaster;
i personally use portupgrade; with this tool you may specify whether you
want you applications updated in the binary or in the source form;

hope this helps;

sasha