Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:42:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        cjclark@home.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why are NIS netgroups  ignored...

On 21-Mar-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
> John Baldwin wrote,
>> On 21-Mar-99 Crist J. Clark wrote:
>> > John Baldwin wrote,
>> > OK, next questions. ;) Does,
>> >
>> > % ypcat -x
>> >
>> > Show that the netgroup maps are being transfered to the machine in
>> > question?
>>
>> Apparently not:
>>
>> > ypcat -x
>> Use "passwd" for "passwd.byname"
>> Use "master.passwd" for "master.passwd.byname"
>> Use "group" for "group.byname"
>> Use "networks" for "networks.byaddr"
>> Use "hosts" for "hosts.byaddr"
>> Use "protocols" for "protocols.bynumber"
>> Use "services" for "services.byname"
>> Use "aliases" for "mail.aliases"
>> Use "ethers" for "ethers.byname"
>
> OK, then I am starting to think it is a server problem, not the
> client. The server does not seem to be pushing the netgroup
> maps. But...

Well, then again, the netgroup map doesn't have a nickname, so it wouldn't be
listed in ypcat -x (which only lists nicknames).

>> > Do Digital UNIX and FreeBSD use the same format for netgroups (the
>> > 'COMPATIBILTY' note on the manpage)?
>>
>> Yes.  In fact, this actual machine is the master NIS server.  There is one
>> Digital UNIX slave server, and the Digital UNIX clients insist on using it
>> as
>> their server, while the FreeBSD clients insist on using the master server as
>> their server.  I can use ypcat and ypmatch with the netgroup map just fine
>> however.
>
> Now I am really confused. The FreeBSD machine is the master, but it
> does not have the /etc/netgroup file? Which machines have which files,
> and on which machine do the ypcat and ypmatch commands work? And on
> which machines do they not work? Are all of these machines on the
> same LAN? Do you have a master and slave on the same LAN?

The FreeBSD machine is the master server, and does not have a local
/etc/netgroup file.  There is a /var/yp/netgroup file whose database is stored
in the NIS maps in /var/yp/<domainname>.  The ypcat and ypmatch work on all
machines, including the FreeBSD master server.  I should have also said that
neither the FreeBSD client workstations nor the Digital UNIX workstations honor
netgroups in .rhosts.  However, the Digital UNIX servers do honor netgroups in
/etc/exports.  All of the machines in question are on the same LAN, including
both the FreeBSD master, and a Digital UNIX slave.  It is as if the netgroup
map is honored some times but not others.  Hope I haven't confused you more and
thanks for sticking it out this far.

> Sorry if I missed understood something somewhere.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/