Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 01:19:35 -0800
From:      Benjamin Krueger <benjamin@macguire.net>
To:        "Brian T . Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
Cc:        "Justin L. Boss" <jlboss@yahoo.com>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NVIDIA  3D FreeBSD Drivers

* Brian T . Schellenberger (bts@babbleon.org) [020303 00:26]:
> On Saturday 02 March 2002 10:09 am, Justin L. Boss wrote:
> > I know not everone uses FreeBSD for a desktop but if you like FreeBSD and
> > are interested in seeing it become one of the most successfully OS ever and
> > you think you will ever use it as a desktop and like to have 3d support
> > then take a minute and go to http://nvidia.netexplorer.org/petition.html
> > and fill out the petition. It is your OS, fight for it.
>
> Why not just avoid nvidia entirely?  Or fight for public release of the specs
> instead of trying to get FreeBSD added to the list of "blessed" OS's like
> Linux and Windows.
>
> Avoid proprietary solutions and venders of hardware that are unwilling to
> work  with open-source code.

Unwilling, or unable? As I've heard, they will not release specs because they
cannot release specs as per licensing contracts for their technology. This
hardly seems like a damnable offense to me, especially considering it helps
them build excellent hardware.

As for the matter of not having support for NVidia cards under FreeBSD...

[snip]
Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
				Load  "xie"
				Load  "pex5"
				Load  "glx"
				Load  "dri"
				Load  "dbe"
				Load  "record"
				Load  "freetype"
EndSection
[snip]
Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "nv"
        VendorName  "NVidia"
        BoardName   "GeForce2 MX"
        BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection
[snip]

My NVidia card works fine under FreeBSD for me.

--
Benjamin Krueger

"From the moment I picked up your book until I laid it down, I
was convulsed with laughter. Some day I intend reading it."
- Groucho Marx