Date:      Thu, 09 Feb 2006 12:47:08 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@BitBlocks.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Power-drain during suspend?

> Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 09:34:37 -0800
> From: Bakul Shah <bakul@BitBlocks.com>
>
> So do you have all your helpful hints collected in one place?

Not really. I used to provide input the the FreeBSD laptop page in
Austria, but I had too many issues with maintenance that I quite a while
ago.

Ideally the handbook should contain an overview of the things that are
not specific to the laptop model, but most of this is pretty new...often
still of uncertain reliability. Since I run -current on my laptop, I am
seldom certain of what has been MFCed.

In the case of sysctls, I can look at my 6-Stable system to confirm
whether the sysctl is there or I can check CVS. Checking CVS is a bit
more labor intensive, so I am less prone to do this on the spur of the
moment.

> Something along the lines of
>
> [<laptop model 1>]
>     changes to kernel config (e.g. leave out devices to be loaded as KLDs)
>     changes to /boot/loader.conf
>     changes to /etc/rc.suspend
>     changes to /etc/rc.resume
>     changes to /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> [<laptop mode 2>]
>
> In a machine parsable form would be very nice.  Then may be
> someone will be inspired to write a program that takes a
> standard GENERIC kernel config + other std files and
> automatically applies all this!

While something like this, without the attempt at machine readability,
has been done a couple of times, the problem is in keeping the
information up to date and keeping track of just what systems it applies
to. For example, things can change quite a bit depending on the BIOS
version and the "sub-model" numbers. There are many different
configurations of the R51 and they have very significant differences
that impact configuration. It's a daunting task to even try to deal with
this and maintaining it seems to be too much. (I'm sure not
volunteering.)

> > hw.pci.do_power_nodriver=[1|2|3]
>
> This goes in sysctl.conf?

Yes. It's dynamic, so you can change it at any time (unless it hangs
your system).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)