Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 06:06:22 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: -O3 optimization?

Thus spake Evren Yurtesen <eyurtese@turkuamk.fi>:
> Well, I made searches from google and people talk that O3 produced quite
> noticably faster code. But well I am not so hungry for speed. I just
> wondered if the binary might have something wrong with it or not even
> though the compiler didnt complain while compiling.
>
> What about using -O or not using any optimizations? Is it very rare that
> -O breaks somethings? I was using -Os and I also didnt notice anything
> wrong but maybe there can be something I am missing too...

-O is the most widely tested setting, and it is significantly
faster than no optimization.  The higher optimization levels
usually increase performance marginally, but they're still just
microoptimizing.  Maybe if you were running some compute-intensive
scientific software you would see more of a difference.

> Is there big performance improvement between -O and -O2 ? or from not
> using any optimizations to -O or -O2? Lets say if I am compiling
> KDE,XFree86. How much would it effect? is there a web page with some
> statistical data about this?

I don't know of any serious benchmarks.  Try compiling the
software in question with -O3.  If it works and performs better,
great; if you can't tell the difference you might want to be a bit
more conservative about the setting...