Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 18:09:31 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
Cc:        Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Leo Kliger <leo@astea.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ppp upgrade hassles

[.....]
> Er Brian, has this changed again?. When I had 2.2.7 I had
>
>  delete ALL
>  add 0 0 HISADDR
>
> in both ppp.conf and ppp.linkup. When I u/g to 981101 (I think that
> was the version, something similar anyway) I started getting warnings
> like ``can't create route''. This was fixed by removing the 2 lines
> from ppp.conf (IIRC you told me they weren't necessary anymore). Now
> you seem to be saying that you don't need them in ppp.linkup if they
> are in ppp.conf :-/
[.....]

Ever get the feeling the goalposts are moving ? ;-)

It depends really.  If you're running ppp from after May 98, it
doesn't matter where these are, as long as you use HISADDR.  However,
before Jan 6, '99, you'd see the (harmless) warning.

I was eventually convinced that the warning was bogus :-)

With any version of ppp after Jan 6, you can get away with just the
``add default HISADDR'' in ppp.conf only (ppp.linkup isn't really
needed at all).  The warning is suppressed because the sticky route
is being added (so the command is considered successful).  Ppp does
an implicit ``delete all'' at startup, and has done for some time, so
that's redundant now too.  This won't change again - promise :-)

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org> <brian@FreeBSD.org> <brian@OpenBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;