Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:39:48 +0530
From:      Chirag Kantharia <chyrag@slashetc.net>
To:        dan@dan.emsphone.com
Cc:        freebsd-question@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: swap space not utilized...

On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 04:26:46PM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
| In the last episode (Jul 14), Chirag Kantharia said:
| > mercury# swapinfo
| > Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
| > /dev/ad0s1b        266992        0   266992     0%    Interleaved
| How much RAM do you have?  It's possible that your active amount of
| memory has never gotten bigger than your amount of RAM.  I've got 512MB
| in my box and have a whole 26MB of swap used, after 54 days of uptime.

I had used 3.3 RELEASE before; using that I got to know the FreeBSD used
swap heavily. I think I've read this somewhere in FAQ too. I have 128MB
RAM while swap space is 260MB (all defaults).

| If you want an easy way to allocate a chunk of memory, in the hopes
| that it'll force something to get paged out, "dd if=/dev/zero
| of=/dev/null bs=200m count=1" might work.  I just tried that, and my
| swap usage jumped to 87MB.

This did work. I guess I don't have much to worry about.

chyrag.
--
Chirag Kantharia <chyrag@slashetc.net> http://slashetc.net/chyrag/