Date:      Sat, 08 Aug 1998 16:38:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com>
To:        davidh@apdata.com.au
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Toshiba 300CDS

My secret spy satellite informs me that on 08-Aug-98, David Hunt wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a Toshiba 300CDS Laptop that has a weird problem, the BIOS has
> the
> serial port setup for 0x3f8 irq 4, with a default install of
> 2.2.6-RELEASE this
> device is not picked up, it does work under Win 95 ok.

This is a well-known problem, and it involves a "broken" I/O controller on
your notebook's motherboard.  Some controllers are "broken" in that they
do not probe correctly.

This problem, by the way, also occurs on some motherboards, e.g. the IWill
boards, that have similarly "broken" I/O controllers.

For a fix, please see:

http://www.lemis.com/serial-port-patch.html

These contain a set of kernel patches for both 2.2.x and 3.0 systems
(don't worry, they are extremely easy to apply).  Simply patch and rebuild
your kernel, and your ports should be A-OK.
---
Donald Burr <dburr@pobox.com> *NEW EMAIL ADDRESS!*      | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.