Date:      Sun, 18 Apr 2004 11:21:42 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@ohoyer.de>
To:        Killermink! <killermink@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dhclient and host resolution

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004, Killermink ! wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a Apple PowerBook running Panther and have set it to share my modem
> internet connection over the Ethernet port.  FreeBSD is connected to this
> and should get all config via DHCP.  When dhclient runs, it successfully
> gets an IP Address from the Powerbook, and I can ping between machines...  A
> quick look at the leases file also shows that it has the Powerbook as the
> Gateway and as the DNS server.   However, I can only get to the Internet
> from the BSD box using IP addresses, trying a url such as www.google.com
> always fails as it cant resolve the host, plus the response is immediate as
> if it hasn't tried or waited for a response.

Well, sound like DNS prblems.

What is the content of your /etc/resolv.conf?

then, when there is an entry like:

nameserver 192.168.1.1

(192.168.1.1 being the IP of the MAC), then check if the DNS on your MAC
is working by:
####
nslookup - 192.168.1.1

set q=any
freebsd.org
####

Well, then your MAC should resolve some IP and mx data, when not, the
DNS on your MAC is misfunctional.
You also can specify DNS in the /etc/resolv.conf that are on the
outside, or you could run named as caching resolver.

Therefore, populate /etc/hosts with the IP/name of FreeBSD box, run
/etc/named/make-localhost
and then start named.

In /etc/resolv.conf put a :
nameserver 127.0.0.1

as first nameserver statement, and FreeBSD will directly resolve...

HTH
Olaf

--
Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer@gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,