Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:27:31 +0100
From:      RW <fbsd06@mlists.homeunix.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Geli Encrypted DVDs

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 04:34:50 +0200
Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 08, 2007 at 03:31:14AM +0100, RW wrote:
> > On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 02:32:33 +0200
> > Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> > > Could you give me the output of:
> > >
> > > 	# ls -l $HOME/backupDVD.img
> > > 	# diskinfo -v /dev/acd0
> > > 	# geli dump /dev/acd0
> > >

> > # ls -l /home/t/dvd.img
> > -rw-r--r--  1 bob  bob  4613734400 Mar 21 13:15 /home/t/dvd.img
> >
> > # diskinfo -v /dev/acd0
> > /dev/acd0
> >         2048            # sectorsize
> >         4613734400      # mediasize in bytes (4.3G)
> >         2252800         # mediasize in sectors
> >
> > # geli dump /dev/acd0
> > Cannot read metadata from /dev/acd0: Invalid argument.
> > Not fully done.
> >
> >  -------------------------------------------------
> >
> > If I run the last command on the image file's md device instead:
> >
> > # geli dump /dev/md0
> > Metadata on /dev/md0:
> >      magic: GEOM::ELI
> >    version: 3
> >      flags: 0x0
> >      ealgo: AES-CBC
> >     keylen: 256
> >   provsize: 4613734400
> > sectorsize: 512
>
> The problem is different size between CD and your image. Try to create
> image with -S 2048 option.

Thanks, that worked.

For the benefit of anyone trying this, the -S 2048 option is to
mdconfig. If you just use  geli init -s 2048 without setting the sector
size in  mdconfig, the dvd device fails to attach.

mdconfig(8) is a bit misleading  when it defines:

"-S sectorsize
             Sectorsize to use for malloc backed device."