Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 00:33:35 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Nathan Vidican" <nathan@vidican.com>, "FreeBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: wireless antenae hardware...

1000 feet is nothing for 802.11 it can go up to 6-9 miles
on line of sight.  You could use 2 omni's if you wanted,
but in your situation I'd recommend an omni at the ISP and
a yagi at your site.  If you used Cisco Aironet gear the
descriptions with Cisco list USD are as follows:

Antenna Kit w/ 13.5 dBi Yagi Ant., 50ft cable, Light. Arrest   539
Antenna Kit w/ 12 dBi Omni Ant., 50ft cable, Light. Arrest     899
340 Series 11Mbps DSSS PCI Adapter with 128-bit WEP            369

Beats a T1 monthly cost any day!

We use these in conjunction with the $20 TV antenna masts and
mounting hardware kits from Radio Shack and they work well,
very reliably, very supported, yackety yack.  The only caveat -
don't let the 802.11 cards bake in the sun, it will wreck them.
If they get above 180 degrees for too long it frys the electronics
in the card.  That's why I'm real suspicious of the gear I see up
on Ebay - I've got one transceiver card that looks perfect, power
it up and it works fine for the first 5 minutes then starts losing
more and more packets.

And no I'm not going to give out the Cisco part numbers nor
what the Cisco reseller that's affiliated with the company I
work for actually sells them for. :-)  You need to get your
own Cisco reseller to do the legwork for you.

Also make the ISP put in some money - they can use that Omni
to sell wireless service to other customers too.

Obviously there's other gear that's supported under FreeBSD
besides the Aironet stuff - my advice is to contact those
manufacturers.