Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2007 17:46:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, wundram@beenic.net
Subject:   Re: viapm - SMBus support for lmmon

Heiko Wundram wrote:
 > I've just set up boxes with FreeBSD 6.2 (currently not running stable yet, but
 > will in a day or so), and as the motherboard is a VIA-based something (with a
 > VIA C3 CPU), I thought that viapm should be the appropriate driver to enable
 > smbus for lmmon and the like.
 >
 > Anyway, the driver loads fine:
 > [...]
 > /dev/smb0 is properly created, but when I then try to run lmmon, the output is
 > the following:
 >
 > ---
 > goettingen01# lmmon
 > IOCTL: Device busy

Are you sure your moinboard does contain monitoring
hardware that is supported by lmmon?

I have a very similar VIA C3 system on an EPIA PD10K
mainboard.  The viapm driver supports it fine, but
it doesn't have lmmon-supported monitoring hardware,
unfortunately.  Here's dmesg, pciconf and sysctl
output if you're interested:

http://www.secnetix.de/~olli/dmesg/epia/

Best regards
   Oliver

"The ITU has offered the IETF formal alignment with its
corresponding technology, Penguins, but that won't fly."
        -- RFC 2549