Date:      10 Sep 1998 22:49:41 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Co=EFdan?=  =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Calvin M Meloon <calvin@pompano.pcola.gulf.net>
Cc:        Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ed

Calvin M Meloon <calvin@pompano.pcola.gulf.net> writes:
> For many of us from the pre-windows pc era we preferred the ...
>
> Borland Turbo Editor
>
> in the TurboC and TurboPascal environments. It rocked.

WordStar ripoff. Anybody ever used WordStar? It used to be THE text
processor on the IBM PC platform, and just about every editor written
for the PC until the early nineties was either a WordStar clone or had
a WordStar compatibility mode.

My all-time favorite DOS editor was Mr Ed, though I switched to Boxer
later because it had syntax highlighting (kinda) and was configurable
enough that you could teach it Emacs-like key bindings and make it use
Unix-style line endings (\n instead of DOS' \r\n). Mr Ed was the best
programming editor I'd ever used before I learned Emacs - I especially
liked its extremely powerful search/replace functionality (regexp
search/replace through batches of file, with or without confirmation)
and a few nifty things such as summary mode (which showed only lines
that began with an alphanumeric or underscore, i.e. function and
variable declarations). Of course, Emacs has most of that and more...

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no