Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 12:48:45 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ES1371 sound card query/CD media query...

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 11:08:23AM +0000, Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've managed to get the es1371 (SB PCI128 card) to work under FreeBSD 3.4,
> but there's a little problem.  The dmesg pops out:-
>
> pcm0: Not found
>
> It works as per the instructions but sets itself up as pcm1!!!  Any ideas?
> It works great- I'm just curious.

Because pcm0 is reserved for ISA devices (actually the number
specified in the ``device pcm?'' line in the kernel config is reserved
for ISA) therefore PCI devices are found at pcm1. If you try changing
the config file to ``device pcm1....'' then your card will be pcm2
(you'll have to ``MAKEDEV snd2'' to use it'') and you'll see ``pcm1
not found.

AIUI, 4.x won't do this, it simply assigns the numbers to devices as
they are found, so your card will be pcm0

HTH

> Also, the CD 1 I got with 3.4 got whirly-scratched by my AOpen CD drive
> which decided to dump it at 40 speed (made a right mess of the CD and
> drive).  Is there anywhere I can get just a CD 1, as I dont want to fish
> out another
>
> £30 for 1 cd.  I've already had to fish out £70 for a new drive
> (Plextor SCSI this time).  Can someone alter the recommended hardware to
> exclude AOpen ATAPI drives ;-)
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Smith
> Raytheon Systems Limited

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000