Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:57:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG (Bill Paul)
To:        silby@silby.com (Mike Silbersack)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NatSemi DP83820 gigE driver kit for 4.2 and 4.3

> On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Bill Paul wrote:
>
> > For those who have gigabit ethernet NICs based on the National
> > Semiconductor DP83820 and DP83821 controller chips and want to use
> > them with FreeBSD 4.2 and 4.3, there is a driver kit now available
> > at the following URL:
> > These cards are all extremely cheap (some can be had for under $100)
> > and fairly easy to find. (I now have one in my workstation.) They could
> > potentially become extremely popular, which is why I'm making a driver
> > retrofit kit available. Anyone running a recent 4-STABLE or 5.0-CURRENT
> > system should already have the necessary driver support.
>
> How do these perform compared to the more expensive gigabit cards?
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

They're "okay." The NatSemi chip has one flaw, which is that RX buffers
must be aligned on a 64-bit boundary. None of the more expensive NICs have
this restriction. The correct way to deal with this is to copy frames
on receive to fixup the alignment, but I decided to make this conditional
for this driver: on the i386 platform, the driver omits the copy since
unaligned accesses are allowed, and the performance hit for copying is
severe when you're using jumbo frames. On the alpha, you have to do
the copy.

The chip has some nifty features though: hardware VLAN tag insertion
and removal, TCP/IP checksum offload on receive and transmit, 2048-bit
multicast hash filter, and 4 pattern match buffers for use with WOL.
The transmit checksum offload has to be turned off if you use jumbo
frames larger than about 8K, because the chip only has an 8K transmit
FIFO. There is also support for interrupt moderation.

For $90 to $120, they're a good bargain. You should be able get at
least 300 to 400Mbps on good x86 hardware (with TCP).

-Bill