Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 23:29:53 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: internationalization

Terry Lambert wrote:

> > Terry, how do you manage to keep all this in your head, or are you a
> > more advanced version of the JKH Tcl script with AltaVista plug in?
>
> No one can rival Jordan... he's a much better humorist than I will
> probably ever be.

When he's trying to be.  Unintentionally, you rival the best -- Mark Twain,
etc.

> Some people watch television; I read.  A lot.  At one point in time, I
> actually ran out of science fiction books to read at my local Carnegie
> Free Library (the Weber County Library at the time), and had to start
> on the history and biography sections.  Thankfully, more science fiction
> arrived before I ran out of biographies.  For scale, I personally own
> around 3500 books which I have read, and very few of them overlap with
> what was in the library at the time.
>
> I think people should read more; if you're going to be antisocial, do
> it with a book instead of a television.  8-).

Hear hear!  Terry and I were fortunate to end up involved in a small
but close group of people who were unafraid to be bright and outspoken,
and unashamed of being quite a few clicks brighter than anyone around
us.  Surprisingly enough, only a couple really fit the classical "nerd"
mold.  I even managed to drag the lot of them to a foreign-language
film once, though I paid dearly for it for several months afterward.

Of course, we did meet to go to the movies on Friday night at the
computer lab in the basement of the Tech Ed building, but that was
mostly because it was a convenient place to meet and several in the
group had keys in case the place was locked up.  These Friday night
gatherings were a 90-mile drive from work for me, but I usually got
to ride half of it with my brother who was the leader of the group
by virtue of being the oldest and biggest, and people just naturally
fall in step behind Johnnie.  Even Terry!  ;^)

Terry, we gotta have a labrat reunion one of these days.  YOU get to
talk Johnnie into flying up for it, though.  He's converted over to
the darkside, and is hacking on Linux for PowerPC these days.  Seems
somebody gave him an entire ROOM of PowerStack servers to play with...