Date:      14 Oct 1996 00:09:01 GMT
From:      peter@spinner.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make -j#

In article <380.845216513@critter.tfs.com>,
	phk@critter.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp) writes:

> Now that we have the possibility, I guess I should mention that most
> compiles go a couple of percent faster if you use the parallel
> feature of make(1).
>
> Try using:
> 	make -j3
> for your kernel makes.

I find that using -pipe is a better overall option for a single-cpu compile.
When I set in /etc/make.conf:
CFLAGS= -O -pipe
COPTFLAGS= -O -pipe
..  I find that a simple 'make' is faster than any setting of -j# ..

This is probably more dependent on the machine in question than anything,
including things like cache speed, ram speed, disk speed and architecture
(ie: scsi vs. ide etc).

I found that the job-complete polling was too chunky though, It seemed that
make was taking up to half a second to start a new job after the last one
had finished.  Dropping one of the select timeout parameters from 500000
usec to 50000 usec made a lot of difference, but it still wasn't quite as
quick as simply -pipe.

However, on the smp kernel it certainly is nice! :-)

Cheers,
-Peter