Date:      Sun, 09 Jul 2000 14:46:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        dbjames@bga.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Arcady Genkin <antipode@thpoon.com>
Subject:   Re: Automatic reboot out of the blue.

On 09-Jul-00 dbjames@bga.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
>       You probably have some bad memory in your computer.
>
>       The only time that my computer ever did this, was when the
> memory was bad.  I pulled out the memory, took it to my local
> computer shop and had them test the memory.  Sure, enough, one
> stick of ram was bad.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Don James
>

> On 9 Jul 2000, at 14:20, Arcady Genkin wrote:
>
>> After 72 days of uptime my computer running 4.0 just rebooted by
>> itself.  I could not find anything of value in messages, so I have no
>> idea why this happened.
>>
>> Any suggestions how I could find the cause of that?
>>
>> The computer is a P166 with 32M of RAM.  After the reboot everything
>> seems to function properly.
>>
>> Thanks!

Your kernel could have paniced, and the default behavior is to reboot
when that happens.  If you want, you can check the handbook section
on kernel debugging to see how to compile a kernel with debug symbols
(config -g) and to setup a dump device via dumpdev in /etc/rc.conf.
Then, when your computer boots up after a panic, it will save a copy
of the kernel and a memory dump to /var/crash/kernel.0 and
/var/crash/vmcore.0.  You can then use the kernel debugger as root
to get some simple info and send an e-mail with it to -hackers.

You don't have to if you don't want to, though.