Date:      Wed, 23 May 2001 13:09:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Bill Schoolcraft <bill@wiliweld.com>
Cc:        jasonla@pobox.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Triple booting -- HELP

Bill Schoolcraft wrote:

> At Wed, 23 May 2001 it looks like Jason La composed:
>
> JL-->I have a question about triple booting with win98, win2k,
> JL-->and freebsd.
> JL-->
>
> I've had success with using the following, the only difference may
> be that I already had windows and Linux installed, the key for me
> was having ONLY "primary" partitions and in my case the 4th one
> was for FreeBSD and the first cylinder of the (4th
> primary) FreeBSD partition was well above the 1024th
> cylinder. That's because I'm using Linux's LILO as the bootloader.

One of the advantages of W2K on the MS side is that it allows 4 primary
partitions and one of those can be an extended. How you arrange them is up
to you. When I use both, and I have three quad boot systems. I try to leave
my "C" drive as Fat32 because I can write to it from FreeBSD. W2K
understands FAT16/32, and NTFS. You can read NTFS from FreeBSD but they
caution writing to it.

I have two new systems that have 3x30GB drives on them. They have a couple
of small partition for Windows ME but the rest of the drives are shared
equally with W2K and FreeBSD. The current versions don't care about the 1024
cylinder rule. I set one pair up as a raid-0 and FreeBSD didn't like sharing
that drive with Windows. The speed wasn't there and I dropped back to two
30GB drives on separate controllers. The two new systems will fall back to a
dual boot when XP is released. The only question there is Personal or
Professional.

I have used this arrangement for several years without any problems and can
see no need for plugable modules or switches. I thought that boarders on
being masochistic.

Kent

> --
> Bill Schoolcraft