Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 14:27:20 -0500
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@o2.cs.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mountd on FreeBSD

Whenever I kill -HUP the mountd on our FreeBSD servers it causes, momentarily,
for all connections to all clients to be denied as it reads the new
information.  This is *highly* undesirable (and not mentioned at all in the
man pages).  This is even worse than a system reboot in many aspects since
a reboot will just hang connections, while this actaully gives permission
denied.  As a side effect, any program that is running off of the NFS mount,
should it need to access a page not in cache will be immediately be killed
*BAD*.  Is there any way arround this problem?  None of Solaris, HP-UX, or
even *gasp* Irix exhibit this behaviour.

--
David Cross