Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 08:23:48 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        "Janine C.Buorditez" <johann@broadpark.no>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Host not found?@#&%!?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Janine C.Buorditez" <johann@broadpark.no>
Subject: Host not found?@#&%!?

> Hi.

Hello; please don't curse in your subject lines ;-)  (although I
understand the frustration)...

> There are a few though, who this network doesn't seem to exist to.
Even though
> BIND is running, they cannot resolve my host. Even though my
daemons are
> listening, they cannot connect to my server.
>
> I have no idea whether this problem is due to my ISP, the route, my
Cisco ADSL
> router, my hardware or FreeBSD. My network is NAT:ed, as is the
router (running
> CBOS) with the ISP. Could this be the problem?

I'd say the fact that you have no idea is at least *part* of the
problem, *tee hee*.
But, seriously, is it the host "broadpark.no" we're talking about?
And, is there
anything similar about those "few" for whom "this network doesn't
seem"
to exist?  Are they all in China, for (a rather silly) example?

What is the network topology (layout) of your LAN?  Can you run nmap
or something similar against your ADSL router?  What results do you
get,
if so?  Have you tested DNS on remote systems using 'dig' or
'nslookup'?

> I appreciate all the help I can get.

Good, I hope I can help, and that you'll excuse my tongue being so
firmly planted in my cheek.

> Regards,
> -- Janine

Kevin Kinsey