Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 2003 20:43:20 +0200
From:      Willie Viljoen <will@unfoldings.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Some corrections about freebsdnews.org

Thought I should get my two cents too. It seems that there's been alot of=
=20
confusion in the past few days about what we're planning to do. As I note=
d in=20
my previous post, freebsdnews.org, which will (hopefully) go up on Feb 14=
,=20
will not be (just) another PHP post forum. We'll have such a thing with=20
headlines mirroring freebsd.org/news, and interesting (but short) posts o=
n=20
slashdot and other such places.

The main focus however will be a kind of "in-depth" news site. We're hopi=
ng to=20
have FreeBSD-specific articles, posted by anybody who feels like it, and=20
edited (hopefully) by somebody with the needed skills like Michael or Pet=
er.=20
We'd like to try and push these to more major publications, ie, news pape=
rs,=20
magazines, or, atleast, to get their awareness level to such a point wher=
e=20
they would consider writing such things themselves. Ofcourse, these artic=
les=20
would be public domain, so anybody who feels like it can republish (which=
 is=20
exactly what we would want)

The aim of freebsdnews.org, basically, is to get the general public,=20
especially the less tech-savvy folks who might just find it interesting,=20
aware of FreeBSD. The Linux people have done a great job by writing about=
=20
their new kid on the block OS on every oportunity, and having their large=
r=20
commercial distributions push full-page adds. We don't need full-page add=
s,=20
but a few full pages of propaganda every now and then will do a world of=20
good.

Also maybe things like a "letter from the trenches", informal HOWTOs wher=
e=20
people experimenting with general FreeBSD things can keep a diary of thei=
r=20
experiences for other people to work from. A long, very detailed article =
on=20
configuring WINE on FreeBSD, showing people how to get their favourite ga=
me=20
running perfectly, instead of just a quick note that it works (which woul=
d=20
suffice in my case) would be all we need to persuade some of the worlds=20
gamers and would be UNIX enthusiasts to give FreeBSD a try.

Maybe even interesting factoid pages like biographies of FreeBSD develope=
rs,=20
contributors, etc.

I've never been one for reinventing the wheel, and we certainly don't wan=
t to=20
try and do what slashdot and daemonnews and freebsd.org already do very w=
ell.=20
We'll see where this goes and if it helps :)

Will
--=20
Willie Viljoen
Freelance IT Consultant