Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 00:42:52 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, "Donald J . Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
Subject:   Re: lastest kernel from cvs ( sh exists with signal 8 )

"Donald J . Maddox" wrote:
> Ok, fair enough.  I have to confess that my usual procedure remains,
> as it has been for a long time, like this:
>
> 1) rm -r /usr/include; cd /usr/src; make includes
>
> This may be controversial, but it has always worked for me, and although
> it's not supposed to (in my understanding), the build (I think both world
> and kernel) does use installed headers.  If you don't think so, mv
> /usr/include and then try to build either.
>
> 2) cd usr.sbin/config; make obj && make depend && make && make install
>
> 3) config and build kernel
>
> 4) make buildworld
>
> 5) install kernel
>
> 6) make installworld
>
> 7) update /etc if necessary
>
> 8) reboot
>
> Here lately, I have been trying to break this cycle and use the
>
> 1) make buildworld
>
> 2) make buildkernel
>
> 3) make installkernel
>
> 4) make installworld

Here is where you are going wrong..  You reboot before doing an
installworld because you can boot kernel.old real easy, but you cannot undo
an installworld.

> 5) reboot
>
> cycle instead, since I have been assured that this is the canonical
> way of doing things now.  It appears that these pronouncements were
> premature at best.

The optimal way always has been and still is:

update config if required
build kernel
install, reboot.
check out your kernel. Make sure it is basically functional.  If so, then:
make buildworld  # a stress test for the kernel you just built.
If and only if the buildworld lives, do an installworld.

*never never never* install a world before the kernel, you cannot back out
of it if the kernel is unstable.  This is especially important in -current
with the SMPng work going on.  If your new kernel cannot build a world,
then you *dont want to run it* and go back to kernel.old.  There is no
installworld.old to roll back to.

Cheers,
-Peter