Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 1999 09:28:52 +0100
From:      Cillian Sharkey <cillian@baker.ie>
To:        paras dagli <paras_dagli@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd login question

> I did try to boot again and get into the single user
> prompt. I was successful until then, but the command
> that you told me didn't work. The only commands that I
> can use are:
> reboot, heap, bcachestat, boot, autoboot, help, show,
> set, unset, more, lsdev, include, ls, load, unload,
> lsmod, pnpscan.

That sounds as if you're in the Userconfig command line
which means you must have typed "-c" instead of "-s"
when booting your system..
"-c" -> Userconfig
"-s" -> single boot

> any other command is not recognized and it gives an
> error. what else can i do??

Try it again this time with "-s" at the boot prompt and then
once you get to the shell prompt, type "passwd root" to
change root's password..

Regards,
- Cillian