Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:05:26 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Jean-Francois Dockes <jean-francois.dockes@wanadoo.fr>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        "Roman Y. Bogdanov" <peps37@ktk.ru>, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD speed?

Kenneth D. Merry writes:
 > On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 02:44:01 +0800, Roman Y. Bogdanov wrote:
 > >   I have plextor px-40 SCSI II CDROM.
 > >   Can I use camcontrol for change speed setting of this cdrom?
 > [skip]
 > My guess is the speed is set in a mode page somewhere, so if you really
 > want to set it, you can try hunting around in the mode pages.  (See the
 > camcontrol(8) man page for details.)

I think that plextor uses (nonstandard?) mode select page code 0x31 for
setting the speed. The page is like:

byte0  0x31
byte1  0x02
byte2  speedfactor
byte3  Rsvd|DisAv|DisWt|SpdMode

byte 3 is probably best left to 0. (DisAv: disable avoid vibration, DisWt:
disable waiting, SpdMode affects speed handling during error recovery)

Speedfactor is what you want to play with. 0 is normally 1X, 0xff max
speed.

Values between 0 and 0xff increase the speed in ways that depend on the
drive model.

This probably works also with some other brands.

Also, this normally only affects READ, not PLAY :)

JF