Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 1998 12:46:02 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

> > Mike Smith:
> > I'm also interested in seeing if a few things I found in the 2.2 version
> > were/will be addressed.  E.g.:
> >
> >    - Splash should auto-dismiss itself when booting gets to the syscons
> >      login prompt (i.e. not running xdm)
>
> why not make it a user selectable?

That'd be pretty straightforward; I'd suggest an rc.conf option to
change the "running" splash, either "NO" (do nothing), "CLEAR" (remove
the splash) or the path of a new splash to put up once the system was
up.

> so that a user would be able to choose an option where the splash is
> left after the boot complites, maybe even putting on another image
> all together, and until some special key combination (user definable)
> is pressed, leave it at that. the key combination would drop it to the
> normal syscons login. wouldnt hurt having that key comb being predefined.

It is already; any VT switch will clear the splash, and there's a
keymap token for toggling it back.  I was considering the "window" key,
actually, although that leaves out a lot of people with older
keyboards...

> that would be _very_ usefull for me for those customer firewall setups,
> all the customer needs to know is if the system is up and running or
> not, they dont need to be able to log in. to many people nowadays a
> nice image on screen looks more "convincing" than a black login screen,
> i'd assume many people considering "non gui" looking somewhat "old".

Sure.  Colour cycling will happen post-boot as well, as there are
timers available at that point.

> yes, i'd do that myself if i'd know how, maybe i know, it just sounds
> too complicated for me.

Not really.  Syscons is a bit of a monster, but not *that* bad.  I'm
certainly more than open to suggestions, diffs, whatever.

> pssss. yes, i can test things in at least one of my current machines

Please do, if you get a chance.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\