Date:      Tue, 23 Jun 1998 16:58:00 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Howard Lew <digital@www2.shoppersnet.com>
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>, FREEBSD-CURRENT <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Via MVP3 chipset, K6-2 CPU's

Howard Lew wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, Stefan Esser wrote:
>
> > On 1998-06-17 16:33 -0400, Brian Tao <taob@risc.org> wrote:
> > >     Anyone have a system running on an MVP3 "Super 7" motherboard with
> > > an AMD K6-2 CPU?  I'm considering buy a system based on the AOpen or
> > > EpoX or TMC Super 7 motherboards, but I noticed my mid-June -current
> > > does not list the MVP3 in /sys/pci/pcisupport.c yet.
> >
> > I have myself choosen the TMC motherboard
> > (mostly because of its 5 PCI + 1 AGP slots),
> > but it will be a few more days (or weeks)
> > until I find time to build up a new system.
> >
> > There is no need to have MVP3 support in
> > pcisupport.c: There won't be a chip-set
> > identification message in the boot message
> > log, but you already know which chip-set
> > you got ;-)
> >
> > (And it is trivial to add the MVP3 device
> > ID to pcisupport.c. I'll commit the patch
> > next time I connect to Freefall ...)
> >

> I have done some preliminary testing with the AMD K6-2 300MHz chip and the
> TMC TI5VG+ ATX motherboard for FreeBSD... Looks solid.  There aren't too
> many motherboards with 5 PCI slots.  The temperature monitor is very
> interesting because the AMD K6-2 runs much cooler in FreeBSD than Windows
> 95.  The motherboard also monitors the system temperature, but none of
> this is accessible in FreeBSD.

What does it use for it's system temporature and motherboard services
controller?  A LM78 by any chance?

I've had a look at the specs for this device and it shouldn't be too hard
to write a driver for it.  The main variable is that motherboards will
be wired differently, with different fan tachometer and temp sensors
connected to different LM78 input channels.  A "driver" as such would have
to be little more than a way of accessing and sampling the channels, some
user space daemon would need to be monitoring the values and deciding what
to do (or setting thresholds for alarms and resets by the driver) etc
based on a lm78d.conf file or something.  There would be too much
variation to try and fit it into kernel options and flags.

All I need now is a source for fans with tach outputs in .au - I can see
it now - "you want a fan with what???".. :-(

Cheers,
-Peter
--
Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>   Netplex Consulting