Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 2000 12:06:57 +0100
From:      "Jose M. Alcaide" <jose@we.lc.ehu.es>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The trouble with boot0

Robert Nordier wrote:

> Can you try the -current version of boot0?  You can pick up both
> source and binary files at
>
>     http://www.freebsd.org/~rnordier/download/boot0-latest.tar.gz

It works, indeed. The conclusion is clear: CHS mode does not work
because of a geometry problem (there is not a formatted DOS partition
on the HD). Packet mode does work, however. I was shot by 4.2-RELEASE's
boot0 -- and by the *damn* geometry problem of IDE disks, of course.

BTW, I found another problem with -CURRENT's boot0: the "noupdate"
option does not work as expected. If "noupdate" is set, then
boot0 *only* boots the slice marked as active in the partition
table, regardless of the F? choice or even the default F? (which
is correctly shown).

Perhaps I am abusing of your patience, but I have another question ;-)
The BIOS setup of the problem machine offers four choices for the
HD mode: AUTO, NORMAL, LBA and LARGE. The NORMAL and LBA modes work with
the packet mode of boot0; however, LARGE does not work, and this
is the mode selected by the BIOS if I put the HD in AUTO mode.
I am simply asking for an explanation of this behavior, or a pointer
to any document about this subject. Could you help me?

Thanks a lot,
-- JMA
****** Jose M. Alcaide  //  jose@we.lc.ehu.es  //  jmas@FreeBSD.org ******
** "Beware of Programmers who carry screwdrivers" --  Leonard Brandwein **