Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:57:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Would this make FreeBSD more secure?

> :while installing xlockmore, I noticed that its mode is 4111 for root.
> :...
> :
> :Wouldn't it be generally a good idea to make the /etc/spwd.db and
> :the /etc/master.passwd file 640 and give them to a newly created
> :
> :root@voyager:~>ll /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock
> :---x--s--x  1 root  pw  - 126976 Oct  1 08:17 /usr/X11R6/bin/xlock*
> :
> :What do you think? Will it make my systems more insecure with the
> :above stuff or not? If not, wouldn't it make sense to incorporate
> :the changes into FreeBSD? IMHO they break nothing since all programs
>
>     I think this is an excellent idea.  A similar method is used for
>     the 'operator' group, to allow the dumper to dump disks without
>     giving him write access to them.

There are several holes in the theory.  The number one hole is
that if I'm trusting you to read the engrpted passwords, I'm
trusting you to not run "crack" (or whatever) against the
password file.  Basically, DES is insecure enough tese days that
if I trust you with read access, I'm effectively trusting you
with the root password (if you had access to the EFF hardware,
you could obtain root in less than an hour).

I think it's a bad idea to spread this trust around like this.

Second, if I trust a program to read the file, but not to write
it, I'm saying I have less trust in the program than I would hold
out for "root".  This is ridiculous, since I'm implicitly trusting
the program to not have a hidden option to enumerate the shadow
password database contents, and I'm also entrusting it to not be
a trojan that, when passwords are successfully validated, the
account/password information gets sent someplace.

Basically, if I'm in for a penny, I'm in for a pound, and relying
on obscurity and spreading the wealth around are both bad security
risks.

>     Another thing that would be nice would be to give certain user id's
>     the ability to listen on low-numbered sockets without giving the rest
>     of the users that ability.

SCO ODT had this "feature".  SVR4 also has this "feature".  It's
effectively the same thing as VMS (or NT) installed images, where
the image itself conveys permission to do things.

Actually, there's already something like this for FreeBSD: "sudo".

For priviledged ports, we have a different program: "inetd".

>     Immediate uses that I can see:
>
> 	* bind		(has a user run mode, but then can't rebind on ifc
> 			changes)

This is more of a problem with the fact that we bind to IP addresses
instead of binding to interfaces.

Ideally, you would want to bind to interfaces, IP addreses, or both,
e.g.:

	ed0:192.168.1.1
	*:192.168.1.1
	ed0:*

> 	* sendmail	(currently run under user with special hacks only)

	Not true.  This is a matter of configuration file settings; so
	long as you don't specify a mailer to run under a user other
	than the user whom sendmail runs, you can run as non-root.  The
	big PITA is the local delivery agent, *not* sendmail itself.

> 	* popper	(run as root)

	Don't use the qualcomm code.

> 	* imapd		(run as root)

	Don't know whose you are running; my imapd and pop3d run as
	user "cyrus".  The U of W imapd/pop3d runs as a non-root
	user as well.

> 	* xterm		(suid root for utmp access)

	Yeah, well, this is just bogus because of the way credentials
	are handled in FreeBSD.  It's the same reason we can't have
	per-user instead of per-machine SAMBA credeintions: there's
	no explicit session manager to act as credential holder, and
	to which programs can proxy requests.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---