Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 09:10:41 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>
To:        "Brian T. Allen" <brian@gzmarketing.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail server with users in a database?

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 10:21:18AM -0700, Brian T. Allen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running 4.2-stable, and want to setup a mail server (preferably not
> sendmail, but it will do in the absence of another solution) where the
> accounts are from a database, rather than actual user accounts on the
> system.  I would prefer the aliases to be database based as well.
>
> I want to do this so that adding a new account or alias is as easy as a web
> based interface to manipulate the database, rather than work something up
> with expect to work with useradd and passwd.  Plus we have one system
> already with 5,000+ email accounts, all shell accounts with /bin/false, and
> it is slowing down the system (it is a RH 6.2 Linux box).

One possible way to do this is to have an LDAP server holding your users
email-address, and mail-box locations; and only allowing access using
IMAP. I've seen this done with exim, (which has an LDAP hook) and have
been told that it can also be done with sendmail (which also has an LDAP
hook). You'll also need an IMAP server which understands LDAP (the
example I saw used Courier-IMAP).

All the users email got stored under an `exim' uid on the system.
However, I'm not too sure how scalable performance is, using LDAP.

Hope this helps.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>