Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 15:01:25 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   where have all the ports & sysinstall packages gone ??

I've been installing 4.2 on a number of systems & have been
experiencing considerable difficulty locating either ports or
sysinstall packages for a number of applications.

It appears that none of the ftp sites carry anything like the
range of applications that were available for previous versions.
eg where can I get a port or a package for apache 1.3.14 ??

I realize that a number of applications were broken or couldn't be
successfully installed without being compiled (mgetty comes to mind)
but the vast majority of things I use have always worked fine from
sysinstall (cucipop / sudo / links / lynx / pine / apache / etc)

I've tried compiling several applications from from source, but
since I'm not extremely experienced in wading through the somewhat
terse makefiles I haven't been able to get many things working
properly this way.

Applications compiled from source (whether working or otherwise)
appear near impossible to uninstall without considerably more
understanding than I possess, (I've yet to see one where "make deinstall"
works) whereas with applications installed via sysinstall its simply a
matter
of "unchecking" a box.

Anyway, having had my rant, would someone please arrange to have the
packages & ports stuff fixed sometime so that the lesser experienced of us
can get all the things we need working ??