Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:35:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      casillas@stanford.edu
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/21486: fetchmail KPOP does not work

>Number:         21486
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       fetchmail KPOP does not work
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:

	FreeBSD ling-pc6.Stanford.EDU 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #2: Fri Sep 22 14:24:41 PDT 2000     root@ling-pc6.Stanford.EDU:/usr/src/sys/compile/LING-PC6  i386

	Default Kerberos 4 installed

	Fetchmail fails to fetch mail via KPOP.  My .fecthmailrc is as
follows:

defaults
	keep
#	fetchall

poll	casillas.pobox.stanford.edu
	protocol KPOP
	user casillas
	to casillas

This .fetchmailrc works in another system.  However, on my FreeBSD it
doesn't:

$ fetchmail -v -v
fetchmail: 5.5.2 querying casillas.pobox.stanford.edu (protocol POP3) at Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:29:43 -0700 (PDT)
fetchmail: fetchmail: getaddrinfo(casillas.pobox.stanford.edu.kpop)
fetchmail: Query status=2 (SOCKET)
fetchmail: Deleting fetchids file.
fetchmail: normal termination, status 2
fetchmail: Deleting fetchids file.

Somehow, .kpop is appendend to the hostname to query.

I built this fetchmail from the ports collection. This is the output
of fetchmail -V:

$ fetchmail -V
This is fetchmail release 5.5.2+POP2+RPA+SDPS+SSL+INET6+NLS
FreeBSD ling-pc6.Stanford.EDU 4.1-STABLE FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE #2: Fri Sep 22 14:24:41 PDT 2000     root@ling-pc6.Stanford.EDU:/usr/src/sys/compile/LING-PC6  i386
Taking options from command line and /home/casillas/.fetchmailrc
Idfile is /home/casillas/.fetchids
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to casillas.
Options for retrieving from casillas@casillas.pobox.stanford.edu:
  True name of server is pobox1.Stanford.EDU.
  Protocol is KPOP with Kerberos IV authentication (using service kpop).
  Kerberos V4 preauthentication enabled.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will be kept on the server (--keep on).
  Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush off).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Idle after poll is disabled (idle off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Delivered-To lines will be kept (dropdelivered off)
  Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: ling-pc6.Stanford.EDU (default)
  Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501 554
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Compile the fetchmail-5.5.2 port, use the above .fetchmailrc.

>Fix:

	Not known.