Date:      Tue, 26 Jun 2001 12:11:45 -0700
From:      "Martin A. Totusek" <bb553@scn.org>
To:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD guru (Jordan Hubbard) to guide Apple on Unix

BSD guru to guide Apple on Unix
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/main_news.cfm?NewsID=3092
By Macworld (UK) staff
Tuesday, June 26, 2001

Apple (http://www.apple.com/) has recruited FreeBSD founder Jordan
Hubbard to its team, in a bid to steer its Mac OS X BSD (Berkeley
Software Distribution) efforts. In a letter circulating within the
FreeBSD community, Hubbard announced his plans to head-up this work for
Apple. Primarily interested in Mac OS X and its BSD sub-system, he will
also help develop Darwin. FreeBSD is the flavour of Unix chosen by Apple
to act as the core of Mac OS X. BSD (http://www.bsd.org/) is an
open-source UNIX resource for users of the various commercial and
freely-available BSD operating systems.

"Those who've been following my writings about, and enthusiasm for, OS X
lately won't be surprised by my going to work for Apple," Hubbard said.
"OS X has finally managed to achieve the Holy Grail of the Unix
community - a powerful Unix core [BSD] combined with a usable desktop,
graphical user-interface development tools and real applications,
without sacrificing access to Unix's underlying features."

Until recently, Hubbard was principal technologist at Wind River
Systems. He also co-founded the FreeBSD project, and will continue to
work with that project