Date:      Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:15:10 -0700
From:      Jos Backus <jos@catnook.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Workaround for ports breaking with ``aclocal: Command not found''

With some KDE3-related ports I was seeing

    ===>  Configuring for kdelibs-3.0_1
    cd /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs3/work/kdelibs-3.0 && gmake -f Makefile.cvs
    This Makefile is only for the CVS repository

    *** Creating acinclude.m4
    !!! If you get recursion errors from autoconf, it is advisable to set the
	environment variable M4 to something including "--nesting-limit=500"
    *** Creating list of subdirectories
    *** Creating configure.in
    *** Creating aclocal.m4
    gmake[1]: aclocal: Command not found
    gmake[1]: *** [cvs] Error 127
    gmake: *** [all] Error 2
    *** Error code 2

    Stop in /usr/ports/x11/kdelibs3.
    lizzy:/usr/ports/x11/kdelibs3#

A ``make clean'' in the port directory does not fix this, nor does the
suggestion in the !!! message. As a workaround I ended up commenting out the
following lines in the port Makefile:

    pre-configure:
	   cd ${WRKSRC} && ${GMAKE} -f Makefile.cvs

After that things built OK. It looks like this target was left over from
development.

--
Jos Backus                 _/  _/_/_/        Santa Clara, CA