Date:      Sun, 2 Aug 1998 11:11:39 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@narnia.plutotech.com>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system lock-up (SMP, AHC_TAGENABLE, softupdates)

In article <19980802172204.50682@deepo.prosa.dk> you wrote:
> System: GigaByte 586-DX, 2xP5-133, 48MB, on-board 7880 SCSI,
>         4GB IBM DCAS-34330W.
> Current as of CTM src-cur 3477 (< 48 hours).
>
> Softupdates enabled on _all_ filesystems: no problem, did
> two make buildworlds/installworld in a row, as long
> as AHC_TAGENABLE is off.
>
> If I enable AHC_TAGENABLE, and push the system a bit (lots
> of FS activity) -> freeze.  Last time it happened was with X,
> so I'd have to do it again in text mode to write down the AHC
> TAG messages...

Assuming it is an AHC problem.  I had a freeze not to long ago
using the SCSI CAM code that only seemed to occur with soft-updates
enabled.  I haven't had the spare time to go re-enable soft-updates
to reproduce this again, but considering the I/O regression tests
I run successfully on this system when it's not running soft-updates,
my inclination is to believe the bug is not in the Adaptec driver.
Using tagged queuing may exacerbate the problem (most likely by tying
up more kernel resources for pending I/O), but I doubt it is the root
of the problem.

--
Justin