Date:      Fri, 25 Feb 2000 08:15:54 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Yamin Prabudy <min@starindo.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: problem on ethernet

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 12:00:20PM +0000, Yamin Prabudy wrote:
> I'd install FreeBSD 3.3 with 3Com ethernet card (ep0 in FreeBSD)
> my problem is when i ping my local network let saya that my FreeBSD got
> an ip 10.0.0.1 and the other computer got 10.0.0.2
> i got an 68% package lost and it was unreachable from outside (seems
> like my computer with 10.0.0.1 dosen't exist)
> can anybody tell me and help me with this problem?

First off, punctuation is a Good Thing. Are your '.' and ','-keys
broken?

OK, the routing issue. You use the example of 10.0.0.0 addresses. Then
you mention it is "unreachable from the outside." How it this set up?
Where is outside and inside? Those are unregistered numbers, so of
course if you let packets loose on the Internet (is that "outside?"),
they likely will not find their way to these machines.

Now, the packet loss. You did not say anything about the physical
setup. Is this an Ethernet connection via a hub? A crossover cable?
Are they on a BNC wire? AUI? Tin cans and string? What is the medium
and how are the cards configured? (Just a wild guess though, are you
trying to run full-duplex through a hub? You can't.)