Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:18:49 +0200
From:      Jacques Marneweck <jacques@web.sciencelink.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hotmail problems -- pppd and natd on 2.2.8-RELEASE

Hi all,

At one of my client's sites natd was installed on the FreeBSD 2.2.8-RELEASE
server.  Everything like IRC, FTP, WWW etc. works fine, except for
www.hotmail.com

I've had people checking my firewall rules, and my various configuration
files.  So far the only thing that we are thinking of is that the
destination network unreachable for the last couple of days from my clients
side.

At three other various sites I have almost the same setup, except one of
the sites is running off a dial-up ppp connection and the other two are
analogue leased-lines.

I've managed to log on to hotmail.com from other ISP's networks except SAIX
(Telkom) which means it is most likely a problem with SAIX's connections.

The other thing I'm interested in is to get natd to allow connections to
port 22 (ssh) and port 25 (smtp) etc. to work from the internet?  Any
suggestions.

-- snipbit from rc.conf --

natd_enable="YES"		# Enable natd if firewall_enable.
natd_interface="ppp0"
# Public interface to use with natd if natd_enable.
natd_flags="-d -s -m
-u"	# Additional flags for natd.

-- end snipbit --

Thats basically what has been done for the configuration for natd apart
from the rc.firewall divert and allow ip from any to any rule.

I'm using squid 1.1.22 which works fine.  The only problem is from the one
site which cannot view hotmail and the client is getting on my case, even
after I showed a successful connection to another ISP using my demo boxxie
which does not use SAIX for their international bandwidth.

I can connect to https:// quite nicely via the proxy or bypassing the proxy.

Regards
Jacques

--jm