Date:      Sun, 20 Feb 2000 21:12:01 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        bmbr <bmbr@weak.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD won't install..

On 20-Feb-00 bmbr wrote:
> I'm trying an installation of freebsd on a machine of mine, and everytime
> I try (off of either the bootdisks, or the cd-rom), it locks at the same
> part..
>
> ----<snip>----
> Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM:
>   1. FD 2.88MB System Type-(00)
> /boot.config: -P
> Keyboard: no
> -
> BTX Loader 1.00 BTX Version is 1.01
> ----</snip>----
>
> it just freezes there and wont go any farther.. here's a quick rundown of
> my machine.. also, i've tried swapping the cards with ones that are in my
> working freebsd box, and i get the same problem..
>
> ---<config>---
> pII 350 intel
> 128mb ram
> western digital IDE hdd (also tried with maxtor and fujitsu)
> AMD PCNet NIC (also tried 3com nic)
> Diamond Fire GL100 Pro AGP (also tried Matrox Mystique from working fbsd,
>                             pci card)
> Award 4.51PG BIOS
> SOYO SY-6BE Motherboard (nothing integrated)
> Toshiba 24x internal IDE CDROM XM 600-2B
> ---</config>---
>
> I'm doing the FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE install.. do you have any insights as to
> what the problem/solution might be?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick Stephens

Please download http://www.Baldwin.cx/~john/boot_test.flp, and use dd(1) to
put it onto a disk.  Then boot off of this floppy and tell me where it
dies, please.  Also, do you have a serial console hooked up to this box by
any chance?  If I need more info, I acn add in more debugging messages, but
they result in a *lot* of debugging messages, and having a serial console to
log all of them would probably help a lot.  Thanks.