Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 1999 15:41:07 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Dieter Rothacker <didi@Xterminator.STUDFB.UniBw-Muenchen.de>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old Libs...?

On Mon, 06 Dec 1999 12:22:35 +0100, Dieter Rothacker wrote:

> I have just installed 4.0-SNAP-19991203. I noticed that some packages (e.g.
> samba, bash2) complain about missing shared libs (e.g. libreadline.so.3
> needed and .4 is installed).  [...]
> I assume that I have to install the old libs from a 3.3-stable BIN.

Yes.  Apparently, the appropriate libraries will be added to compat3x at
the last moment. :-)

> How do I find out which bin-archives I really need to download? I looked at
> the mtree-file, but did not find the exact arc files mentioned. I do not
> want to download all bin.* files.

Don't you have a trusted 3.3-STABLE/3.3-RELEASE machine you can grab
them from?  I ask because I don't think there's an easy way to avoid
sucking down the whole of bin. :-(

> Please forgive me if the solution should be obvious, it is my first
> try at FreeBSD.

Ah, then that's where you've gone wrong.  For your first try at FreeBSD,
you should probably be trying 3.3-RELEASe or a 3.3 snapshot.  The 4.0
branch is still considered the bleeding edge.  And as you've discovered,
it tends to make you bleed. :-)

Ciao,
Sheldon.