Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 00:18:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: where have all the ports & sysinstall packages gone ??

On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Doug Young wrote:

> It appears that none of the ftp sites carry anything like the
> range of applications that were available for previous versions.

I don't know which mirrors have packages, but I usually login to the main
site when looking for packages.

Does anyone know what sits have mirrors of the packages?

> eg where can I get a port or a package for apache 1.3.14 ??

From that line above and other problems you mentioned it sounds as if you
may not have updated your ports tree.

Did you use cvsup to update your port tree?

> I realize that a number of applications were broken or couldn't be
> successfully installed without being compiled (mgetty comes to mind)
> but the vast majority of things I use have always worked fine from
> sysinstall (cucipop / sudo / links / lynx / pine / apache / etc)

I usually have much better luck with ports that with packages.
Sometimes the packages lack handling of some of the dependencies.