Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:41:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      kosmos <kosmos@bowhill.yi.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports features wish list: USE_PACKAGE_FIRST

I have an item for the ports development wish-list. This is
probably not a new idea, but it is related to building packages
on-the-fly, and it would be useful.

How about a make target that would look in packages/All to add
a dependent package before attempting to install it as a port?

It might speed things up a bit for long installations, and could
also be used in package-building.

To illustrate, suppose I want to install port_A, which depends
on port_B. Port_B was deinstalled at some point, but exists in
packages/All as package_B.

When I type make install in port_A directory, make would notice
package_B in packages/All, and install it. Then port_A would
build.

This could be used with 'make DEPENDS_TARGET=package package'
to form something grotesque like:

'make DEPENDS_TARGET=package USE_PACKAGE_FIRST=t package'

to build a complex package.

--Allan