Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:22:44 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Doug Burks <dbx@aa.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dual booting FreeBSD and FreeBSD

Greetings,

I would like to create root partitions for three different versions of
FreeBSD on the same disk (wd0, if it matters).  I've installed FreeBSD
2.2.7 on two of the partitions so far, but whenever I boot, but no
matter how I boot, it always boots from the first partition, not the
second.  (If it matters, I've tried by choosing the proper F? key under
the FreeBSD boot manager, choosing the partition from the "Boot: "
prompt, and by using the Minix boot manager).  Poking around the system
and FreeBSD WWW site yields no definite information, though hints that
it can't be done.

To cut to the chase, is there a way to boot different versions of Free-
BSD from the same disk?  After all, I can boot FreeBSD, Windows 95, and
Minix from the same disk, why not FreeBSD-2.2.7, FreeBSD-stable, and
FreeBSD-current?  I'd be shocked if no one else has ever tried this, and
hope I have not missed anything obvious.

Thanks!  Any suggestions, pointers, and hints welcomed.

Doug Burks            'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool
dbx@aa.net                than to put up a Web site and remove all doubt