Date:      Thu, 3 Feb 2000 20:48:51 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Configuring lp0 During Install

I am trying to install FreeBSD on a notebook (DELL Latitude XPi). I
don't have a PCMCIA network card at the moment, so I am trying to set
things up by doing IP over a parallel port PPP connection.

The install does not seem to be handling this very well. I did,

  # ifconfig lp0 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.2

On the host machine. Started natd,

  # natd -u -n fxp0

And added the following firewall rules to do this quick and dirty,

  divert 8668 ip from any to any via fxp0
  allow ip from any to any via lp0

Oh, yeah, I turned on IP forwarding,

  # sysctl -w net.inet.ip.forwarding=1

However, I noticed a few things. First, after the first command, the
gateway machine did not seem to know it had an address of 10.0.0.1.

  # ping 10.0.0.1
  PING 10.0.0.1 (10.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
  ^C
  --- 10.0.0.1 ping statistics ---
  #

I checked and although there was a route from 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.1,
there was no route for 10.0.0.1 packets. I added,

  # route add 10.0.0.1 127.0.0.1

And that lets the machine ping itself, but I don't know if that's
right.

Now, as for configuring lp0 on the machine that is getting the
install, it is in more trouble. The GUI ifconfig you get _always_
wants a netmask, which is meaningless for PPP, but that's not a big
deal. I entered in the required info plus add 10.0.0.1 as an extra
argument for ifconfig. The machine then goes to the,

              Looking up host ftp.freebsd.org.

Message and just hangs there waiting for that eternal DNS timeout.

How do I use lp0 from the install floppies? Thanks for any help.

BTW, I am using the latest PAO install floppies.