Date:      Wed, 07 Aug 2002 03:08:21 -0700
From:      Darren Pilgrim <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
To:        Desmond Lee <desmond.lee@shaw.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, scott@bsdprophet.org, kstewart@owt.com, grog@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some questions about upgrade and /etc/ files

Desmond Lee wrote:
> >With all those /dev/* entries changed to match the devices in your
> >`mount` output.  Just, whatever you do, DO NOT REBOOT until you're
> >absolutely sure your /etc/fstab matches your mounted filesystems.
> >Otherwise you get to spend some time guessing at which partitions
> >were mounted where.
>
> Ah crap... i already rebooted. But, when i did a diff on fstab from the one
> downloaded from the source tree there was no difference? I don't think my
> system was properly mounted from before. Do you know any way to set this up
> easily? I got what was listed above, but no floppy or zip drive liste?

There's not any automatic way that I know of.  You can fairly easily
guess and which goes where based on filesystem contents.  Just take
each filesystem in turn and mount it at /mnt, look at the contents of
/mnt, then unmount and mount it at it's proper point, make a note of
which device it is.  Repeat for each filesystem you have on the
disk(s).  Once you have them all mapped out, do the `mount` command
again and compare your notes.  Then edit fstab and create entries
like those above for your filesystems.

A floppy drive will be fd0 or fd1.  A zip drive, if it's SCSI,
parallel, or USB, attaches as daN, where N is an integer.  I'm not
sure what the ATAPI zip drives attach as, maybe afdN?  You'll have to
play with partition/slice combinations to get the filesystem mounted,
it's usually one of four: Da, Dc, Ds1a, Ds1c, where D is the device
the drive attached as.