Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:07:00 -0500
From:      "William H. Magill" <magill@mcgillsociety.org>
To:        berndpaulhans@juno.com
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DEC Alpha XL-300

On 29 Dec, 2004, at 09:41, berndpaulhans@juno.com wrote:
> I have this older Alpha system I bought for CAD.   It has 32MB of RAM
> however I was told that my Alpha would perform much better with
> additional RAM.   Do you have RAM for this type of Alpha system?   If
> yes, how much for an additional stick of 32MB?

I find it hard to believe that ANY OS would run on a 32 meg Alpha --
even the old NT boxes
needed at least 64 meg to run! (Yes, they were sold with 32 meg, but
despite what Microsoft claimed they would only run like a chicken with
a broken leg.)
And while all Tru64 or VMS systems would run in 64 meg, they really
needed 128 meg to "perform as expected."

One of the best places for RAM I have found for both my Alphas and
Apple machines is
SA Technologies: www.satech.com

Their prices are good and I've never had a problem with their memory.

Personally, I would recommend that you shoot for at least 128 meg not
merely a total of 64.
You don't say what model your box is so I can't really guess what is
available for your system.
SATech's web site (scroll down the home page to find all of the systems
listed) has base memory descriptions for many of the Alpha models.

As an example, SATech prices for my XP1000 are currently:

  64 meg $25
128 meg  38
128 meg  48 - Compaq approved part
256 meg  88
256 meg  85 - Compaq approved part

Note that for my XP1000 box, memory requires 4 sets of DIMMs so 64 meg
is a total of $100.

Contact them via email or by phone if you have any questions about how
many memory sockets you have and what kind of kits you need.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]-Tru64 5.1a
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-3 (EV6) - 256 meg] Open BSD 3.6
# XP1000  [Alpha 21264-A (EV 6.7) - 384 meg] FreeBSD
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com
whmagill@gmail.com