Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 10:58:48 -0600
From:      "Andrew L. Gould" <algould@datawok.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Adam <adam@jamradar.com>
Subject:   Re: pkg_add Not Working

On Wednesday 29 December 2004 10:29 am, Adam wrote:
> I'm trying to add packages over my network connection.  I can
> anonymously FTP into ftp.freebsd.org so I know my FTP connection is
> working.  In the manual for pkg_add it said that I may have a problem
> with FTP firewall but I have none set up.  It also said to enter
> something in my environment variable for passive ftp firewall but I
> don't know where it is..
>
> Does anyone have an idea what is wrong?
>
> # pkg_add -r mysql-server-4.1.7
> Error: FTP Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Lat
>est/mysql-server-4.1.7.tbz: File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no
> access) pkg_add: unable to fetch
> 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/La
>test/mysql-server-4.1.7.tbz' by URL

Reading the error message, we discover that the file
mysql-server-4.1.7.tbz cannot be found at  the url
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5.3-release/Latest.
If you visit that site on your internet browser, you'll find the
following packages for mysql server 4.1*:

mysql41-server.tbz

Therefore, the command would be:
pkg_add -r mysql41-server

In fact, if you look in /usr/ports/databases, you'll find that the port
is called mysql41-server.

If you want the more recent packages (with version numbers in the
names), review the packages at:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/All/

It's here that you'll find mysql-server-4.1.7.tbz

To get this package, use the following command (beware of wordwrap):
pkg_add
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-5-stable/All/mysql-server-4.1.7.tbz

Note that the -r option is not used when a specific location and package
file are given.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould